How to generate and find your API Access Token in your Shopify Store
When connecting your Shopify Store with any custom app, you will need to manage API access tokens from your Shopify Store. In order to use our Shopify integration you will need the URL of your Shopify Store and an API access token. In this article you will learn how to generate and find this API access token within your Shopify Store.
ℹ️ Please note that this guide is intended as a useful resource for Plytix customers, but Plytix cannot be held responsible for use of third-party tools.
*Skip to any section in this article by clicking on the links above
Enabling custom app development within Shopify
You can enable a custom app from your Shopify owner’s account. To do this:
Log in to your Shopify Store as the store owner.
A dropdown menu will appear. Click on 'Apps and sales channels settings'.
5. Click to 'Allow Custom App Development'. 6. In the next window, read the warning and information provided and click 'Allow Custom App Development' again.
7. After you've allowed the custom app development, you can select 'Create an app'.
8. You'll be asked to give your app a name, and add your email in the "App developer" text box.
9. Once you've created an app, navigate to the 'Configuration' tab and select 'Configure' in the "Admin API Integration" section.10. Under "Admin API access scopes" you'll see many categories. Scroll down until you reach "Products." Here, you'll click to tick the boxes for 'write_products' and 'read_products', then click the 'Save' button.
💡 If you want to use the variant fields "HS Code, Country of Origin, and Cost Per Item" in your Shopify store, you should also enable read/write permissions for inventory.
Generating API Access Token from the Shopify admin
To generate your access token:
- Head to the tab 'API Credentials'.
- Click on 'Install' in the "Access tokens" box.
- Confirm the installation by clicking on 'Install' in the window that appears.
- Now you will see your Admin API Access Token has been generated. Click on 'Reveal token once' and you will see the token.
Using Your Token to Connect a Shopify Channel
From the Plytix Channels tab, click on the 'Add Channel' button.
In the window that appears, select a "Shopify" type channel. If you haven't previously connected a Shopify store, then 'New connection' is selected by default. Enter your store name as it appears in your Shopify account and paste the token in the text "API Access Token" text box. To finish, click 'Add Channel' again.
To be sure your connection is working, click on 'Test Connection' and if it's successful, you'll see the phrase changes to "It works!"
Now that your channel is connected to your Shopify store, follow the steps in our Creating and Managing a Shopify Channel article to add your products, map your product attributes to Shopify fields and set up a schedule for updating your store automatically!
- Learn how to create and manage a Shopify channel
- Learn how to map Shopify fields
- Learn how to import a Shopify CSV template into Plytix
Is there anything you were hoping to find in this article that is missing? Did this article answer the questions you had? Let us know in our Help Center feedback form! 🙌
If you have any questions just click on the chat box in the bottom-right corner and we'll be happy to answer them...
and please let us know 👇