A step-by-step guide on how to use PDF Templates to create a product sheet from scratch
PDF Templates is where you can create auto-updating product sheets, sell sheets, and product catalogs that you can download on the fly whenever you need them.
This guide assumes a few things about your experience with Plytix thus far:
- That you have products imported into the system
- That you have a PRO account or trial active
If you don't have any products imported yet, learn how to do so here. If you need a trial, just let us know in the chat and we'll get you set up.
How to Create a Product Sheet from Scratch
Creating a product sheet can be done in a few steps:
- Select and prepare the attributes you want to use
- Design the product layout
- Customize your template theme
- Choose products to insert into the template and export!
After creating your template, you can reuse it for any set of products you want.
Selecting and Preparing Attributes
When you create a new PDF Template, you will see a set up area where you can select the attributes you want to use in the template. By pre-selecting the attributes you want to use in the template, you can also transform those attributes to fit the context.
How to select attributes:
- Click ADD ATTRIBUTES
- Select the attributes you want available in the PDF Designer
- Click OKAY then SAVE
After your attributes are selected, you can start to make changes to your attributes. This helps you customize attributes for different customers or stakeholders.
How you can prepare and transform your attributes for PDFs:
ℹ️ Attributes that can be modified have a options icon next to their name that you can click to reveal transformation types
- Change the output label so that what the person sees in the PDF is different from the attribute label in the PIM
- Change the decimal format for different regions
- Change the boolean output
- Create Computed Attributes to modify prices, descriptions, and other types of formatting
Design the Product Layout
Once your attributes are selected and prepared, then you will want to head over to the designer where all the customization happens.
Setting up your product layout is the most important part of your PDF Template, because it is how your products will be displayed. You can add images, descriptions, titles and more.
To get started:
- Click on DESIGNER in the top right corner
- This will redirect you to a new window.
- Then choose your document settings. This is important to set first because then your preview will reflect the space and orientation you choose. Changing this later can result in loss of content.
- Add product components to build out your template
- Choose your layout (columns, products per page...) by clicking the LAYOUT tab
- Preview your changes with different products by changing the product in the top right corner
Customize Your Template Theme
After your product layout is ready, you can start to customize your theme so that your PDF reflects your branding. There are a few ways to adjust the branding elements of your PDF:
- Fonts & Colors - You can set the fonts and colors when you add components to your product layout and also for your headers and footers
- Header - Here you can upload an image or include text. Learn more about customizing your headers here.
- Footer - Add an image, text, and page numbers. Learn more about customizing your footers here.
- Create Static Pages - Static pages can be used to add content like title pages, informative pages, and more. Learn more about Static Pages here.
Choose Products To Export
When your template is ready, now it's time to see it in action. PDF Templates can be applied to any of your products.
To generate a PDF with your products:
- Go to the Product Overview
- Choose a set of products
- Click EXPORT
- Select PDF
If you have any questions or would like a walkthrough, just find us in the live chat! 😃