How to assign assets to products individually or in bulk
One of the beautiful things about using a PIM solution is that you can link your products and your assets so that they are easy to use and find. In Plytix, you only need to upload your file once, and then you can use it in multiple places. In this article, we will explain the different ways to link or unlink an asset to a product so that they can be exported or used together.
From the Product Detail Page Attribute Tab
*Skip to any section in this article by clicking on the links above
To manually link asset(s) from the Assets overview screen:
💡 This article explains the manual linking process. If you want to link assets to products automatically based on asset file name, click here to learn about Autolinking Assets with Products in Bulk.
ℹ️ You can link up to 1000 assets at a time.
- Select the asset(s) you want to link.
- From the set of options that appear at the top of the table, click on 'Link to...' and choose 'Products.'
- From here, you can choose to link products by selecting them manually, or based on the asset file names. Here, we'll show you how to select products to link manually (if you want to link products automatically, see the link above.) Continue by selecting the products to which you want to link the asset, then click 'Next.'
- Now you'll select the media attribute where you want your assets to appear within your product.
- If you choose an attribute that can store more than one asset, you'll have the option to choose whether to 'Add' the new assets you're linking, or 'Replace existing' assets. If you choose an an attribute that can only store one asset, like 'Thumbnail,' you'll only see the 'Replace existing' option. Lastly, click 'Link.'
ℹ️ By linking your assets to a product, they will automatically be assigned to the "Assets" tab of the product's detail page and the system attribute "Assets".
💡Use filters to find a selection of assets faster.
⚠️ You can link no more than 300 assets to a product.
Asset Detail Page
From the asset overview, click on an asset to enter the asset details page. This will take you to the 'Products' tab of the asset details page.
To link assets from the asset detail page:
- Click on 'Link Products.'
- In the pop-up that appears, choose the products(s) you want to link, then click 'Next.' Narrow down the products you see by selecting a product 'Family' from the dropdown if desired.
- Next, select the attribute to which you want to assign this asset. If you choose an attribute that can store more than one asset, you'll have the option to choose whether to 'Add' the new asset you're linking, or 'Replace existing' asset. If you choose an an attribute that can only store one asset, like 'Thumbnail,' you'll only see the 'Replace existing' option. Lastly, click 'Link.'
The product(s) you have just linked will now appear in the 'Products' tab of the asset detail page.
ℹ️ By linking your assets to a product, they will automatically be assigned to the "Assets" overview tab and the system attribute "Assets".
To unlink an asset from a product:
- From the 'Products' tab of the asset details page, select the products you would like to unlink.
- From the additional options that appear above the table, click 'Unlink'. You will be asked to confirm the unlinking. Click 'Unlink' again and the product will be removed from the 'Products' tab of the asset.
To link an asset from the Product Overview screen:
- Select the product(s) to which you want to link assets. From the set of options that appear at the top of the table, click on 'Link assets.'
- Next, select 'Add new assets' and select the file(s) to upload....
... or 'Link existing assets' and select which asset(s) to link. Then click 'Next.'
- Select the attribute to which you want to link the asset. For media gallery attributes, you have the option to select 'Add' or 'Replace existing.' Then click 'Link."
Once linked, your assets will appear on the detail page of the selected products, under the 'Assets' tab, which you can think of as an overview of all the assets related to that product.
💡 You can view these assets in a list or in a grid.
To unlink assets:
- In the assets tab of a product, select the assets you would like to unlink.
- Click the 'Unlink' button that appears above the table.
Attribute Tab of the Product Detail Page
You can also link assets to media attributes of a specific product within the product detail page. For example, you can add an image to a product's "Thumbnail" attribute.
ℹ️ This requires you to create media attribute types in the system.
To link assets as attributes:
- Go to a product's detail page.
- On the 'Attributes' tab, find the media attribute to which you want to add assets. Hover your mouse over the attribute name and click on the pencil icon that appears before the name to edit that attribute.
- If changing the thumbnail, hover over the thumbnail image to display the 'Change thumbnail' icon.
- Click on the plus icon to add more assets to the attribute you are editing.
- In the pop-up that appears, choose to 'Add new assets'....
- After you click 'Finish' you be returned to the product detail screen. Your attribute will appear as "Edited." Be sure to click on 'Save changes' to save the assets you've just linked.
To unlink an asset:
Click the pencil icon on the media attribute to edit it. Hover over an asset and click on the trash can icon to unlink this asset.
- Learn how to import and upload assets to Plytix
- Learn how to bulk associate assets with products
- Learn how to export assets
If you have any questions just click on the chat box in the bottom-right corner and we'll be happy to answer them...
and please let us know 👇